Thursday, February 3, 2011

Who Control's My Steering Wheel?

I am learning that life is so much easier when I let God have the driver's seat.  I just wish it hadn't taken me almost 60 years to figure out life works best that way.  There have been many times in my life when I've yielded control to Him and the road He took me on was full of joy even in the midst of trials.  Yet, for some unknown reason, I would eventually take back the steering wheel and veer off course.  

After I've made a total mess of things, I desperately invite God back into the driver's seat.  Thankfully, our God of mercy and grace retakes His rightful place and gets me back on the right path.  However, He usually allows me to suffer the consequences of my actions so that I may learn a lesson.  I do believe He often softens those consequences out of His abundant love and compassion. And then the joy is restored and I rest in His Presence.

I hope that at this stage in my life I have finally learned my lesson.  I know that I will be tempted to take control again.  I pray that the Holy Spirit will remind me of the consequences of being in control and that I will be able to resist that temptation.  I choose to surrender control of my life to my Father who loves me and knows what's best for me. 

I take comfort and encouragement from Psalm 30:5:

"For His anger lasts only a moment,
   but His favor lasts a lifetime;
weeping may stay for the night,
   but rejoicing comes in the morning."

"Father, Thank You for Your loving patience even when I don't deserve it.  Help me to remember how much better life is when I allow You to be in the driver's seat.  And thank You that joy always follows weeping when I trust in You!  In the precious Name of Jesus.  Amen"

No comments: