Wednesday, February 23, 2011



The father of a good friend past away this morning.  
He's been battling cancer for a while.  
I started to say the cancer won, 
but for him death has no sting,  no victory. 

So when this corruptible has put on incorruption, 
and this mortal has put on immortality, 
then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written:  
“Death is swallowed up in victory.”
       “ O Death, where is your sting?
      O Hades, where is your victory?”
1 Corinthians 15: 54-55 
This was a true man of God.  
He was a pastor who loved the Lord with all of his heart.  
He was leading the flock of a church 
after "retiring" several years ago.
He ministered to people with love and compassion.
And he loved his family well.

Even to the end, he prayed with his family 
and those who visited him.
He sang hymns of thanksgiving and praise 
as he lay in his bed at home.
He encouraged others to be thankful.
He truly loved the Lord 
and I know he is rejoicing and worshiping 
in His presence right now!
I look at his example and at others who are in my life 
and I see people who do not allow illness, pain, old age, 
or just being tired keep them from serving God daily.
At the same time they talk about being ready to go.
They embrace life while not fearing death.
They know that to die is gain.

“Let not your heart be troubled; 
you believe in God, believe also in Me.
In My Father’s house are many mansions; 
if it were not so, I would have told you. 
I go to prepare a place for you. 
And if I go and prepare a place for you, 
I will come again and receive you to Myself; 
that where I am, there you may be also."
John 14:1-3

This is the promise for those who are in Christ.
This life is but a journey preparing us 
for an eternity in God's presence.
Jim McGee has entered that presence.
We on earth mourn his loss.
Heaven celebrates his gain.
Praise God.


No comments: