Friday, February 18, 2011

Encouragement

Today's devotional at work was about encouraging words.
  
"Therefore encourage one another 
and build each other up as you are already doing."
1Thessalonians 5:11

I love to encourage people through 
words, cards, hugs, prayer, however I can.
I think part of the reason for this is 
that I know what it's like to live in an atmosphere of discouragement.  
I believe God allowed me to experience this 
so that I could know how much kind words and deeds 
can mean to a person who is discouraged. 

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, 
the Father of mercies and the God of all comfort. 
He comforts us in all our affliction, 
so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any kind of affliction, through the comfort we ourselves receive from God.
2 Corinthians 1: 3-4
If I had never suffered abuse or loss or pain, 
how would I know how to minister to another person?  
Why would I want to ease someone else's pain?

But I have suffered verbal abuse, emotional loss, and physical pain.
God has used various means to comfort me.
People.  Scripture.  Music.  Words.  Hugs.  
Most of all, His Holy Spirit has wrapped me in arms of comfort 
when I have cried out to Him.

Words can be used to tear down.
Words can be used to build up.
"Sticks and stones may break my bones,
but words will never hurt me."

Not true.
Words can inflict the most terrible pain possible.
Words can bestow the deepest joy possible.


If you speak, be encouraging.
If you act, be loving.
Comfort as you have been comforted.
Encourage as you have been encouraged.


 "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."
Matthew 7:12

No comments: