Thursday, June 2, 2011


Fickle Faith


James 1:6

 As Christians, our belief is based on faith.

"For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,"
Ephesians 2:8 

I can honestly say I've never doubted my salvation.
I've never doubted that God loves me.
I've never doubted that Jesus' death and resurrection are real.
I've never doubted the promise of eternal life in Heaven.
My faith in Jesus is what has saved me.

However, God's Word also tells us that:

4 "There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.  
5 There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord. 
6 And there are diversities of activities, 
but it is the same God who works all in all. 
7 But the manifestation of the Spirit 
is given to each one for the profit of all:  
8 for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, 
to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit, 
9to another faith by the same Spirit, 
to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit,  
10 to another the working of miracles, 
to another prophecy, 
to another discerning of spirits, 
to another different kinds of tongues, 
to another the interpretation of tongues.  
11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, 
distributing to each one individually as He wills."
1 Corinthians 12:4-11
 I have the gift of faith.
Even in the worst of times, 
 I'm not a worrier.
I've just always known God will take care of me.
Even as a child, I trusted Him.
Raising my children,
going through a divorce,
surgeries, illnesses, financial strains, whatever the trial,
I never doubted.
I've wondered how He will answer sometimes, 
but never if.
And if the "worst" does happen,
which in the world's eyes is death,
that would be my best.
I'd be with my Lord and Savior.
It doesn't get any better than that!

That's what the gift of faith is.
That being said, 
I also know my faith can be fickle at times.
I do admit to getting weary of asking for the same thing over and over.
I wonder if I should quit asking.
Maybe the answer is no.
But some requests stay on my heart.
That's when I go back to James 1:6
 I ask God to forgive my doubting.
I ask Him to strengthen or remove the desire
And He does.
Because He IS faithful.
So I will keep on seeking Him will.
I will keep on giving Him my requests.
I will keep on asking in faith.
I will keep on acknowledging my doubts.
I will keep on keeping on.
That's what faith does.

No comments: