Monday, May 16, 2011


“Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy."
Exodus 20:8 

This is one of the Ten Commandments.
 
Very few people actually keep the Sabbath today.
 The world certainly does not.
Most Christians do not.
We work.
We shop.
We eat at Cracker Barrel.
Even the church keeps us busy.
Ministers and staff certainly do not have 
a day of rest on the Sabbath.

How can we as children of God 
who want to honor Him
observe a Sabbath?
It's wonderful when we can have a full day to rest.
However, those are few and far between for most of us.
Recently, I received new insight into this while reading 
a devotion by Beth Moore
She wrote about Sabbath Moments.
Times during our busy schedules 
when we stop and smell the roses.
I like that idea.
I've decided to look for moments in my day 
when I can become aware of my surroundings 
and praise God for the little blessings.

What about you?
Aren't there moments in your day 
when you can take a deep breath 
and whisper the Name of Jesus?
That's really all it takes.

"Are you tired? 
Worn out? 
Burned out on religion? 
Come to me. 
Get away with me and you'll recover your life. 
I'll show you how to take a real rest. 
Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. 
Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. 
I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. 
Keep company with me and 
you'll learn to live freely and lightly." 
Matthew 11:28
Enjoy a Sabbath Moment.

No comments: