Wednesday, May 25, 2011



 The Garden of Your Heart




I Come To The Garden Alone
I come to the garden alone
While the dew is still on the roses
And the voice I hear falling on my ear
The Son of God discloses.

He speaks, and the sound of His voice,
Is so sweet the birds hush their singing,
And the melody that He gave to me
Within my heart is ringing.

I’d stay in the garden with Him
Though the night around me be falling,
But He bids me go; through the voice of woe
His voice to me is calling.

 And He walks with me, and He talks with me,
And He tells me I am His own;
And the joy we share as we tarry there,
None other has ever known.

Words & Music: C. Austin Miles

 "I want you to walk with Me in the garden of your heart
where I have taken up permanent residence."
Jesus Calling
by
Sarah Young

When I read the above quote during my devotion time this morning,
this hymn came to my mind.
"I Come to the Garden Alone" 
was my Dad's favorite.
Even though I know it by heart, 
I printed out the words so I could meditate on them.

I wondered:
How much time do I really spend with Him?
How much time to I spend listening instead of talking 
when I am with Him?
How many times do I monopolize the conversation?
How many times do I rush through my quiet time 
to move on to the "important" duties of my day?
How much joy do I actually experience in His presence?

Do I want to "stay in the garden with Him"?
As I get older, the answer becomes more and more a resounding
YES!

One thing I have and am still learning is how to stay in that garden;
The garden in my heart where Jesus dwells.
Beginning my day in His presence through 
His Word and Prayer is a great start.
Keeping scripture posted in prominent places 
at home and work reminds me to listen for His voice during my day.

When I have spent time with Him in the morning 
and requested reminders of His presence during my day, 
He never fails me.
A word, phone call, e-mail, thought, or feeling
brings Him to my mind.
When I end my day by spending time with Him,
journaling about my day and 
thanking Him for my blessings,
it makes my joy complete.

 Decide today to spend time with Jesus.
Your joy will be complete.

No comments: