Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Where Are Your Priorities?

Priorities. The word prior is defined as “taking precedence (as in importance)”¹. The recent death of a friend of my son and daughter-in-law is one of the things God is using to lead me to rethink my priorities.
My daughter-in-law posted her thoughts on Facebook and I was convicted by what she had to say. Carie wrote, “While we were dealing with the aftermath of the tragedy, the NFL draft was going on. The number of comments that were going on where Hal was and where I was was enough for a person to go mad. But it got us both thinking, what are the priorities of so many people? The number of people who would put a sports game…over a friend who is hurting is startling. The number of people who feel inconvenienced when someone comes to them for help is upsetting. People do not make time for people anymore. People make time for stuff and activities. People, take the time if someone comes to you. Don’t flippantly say to someone ‘how are you?’ and not really want a true response. Take the time. Be observant!”
I am to be like Jesus. I cannot do this on my own strength but God Word tells me I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. When Jesus walked this earth, He cared about people, not things, events, or anything else. He still does. So logic dictates that I should care about people, not things or events or anything else. One of the best ways to show someone you care is to really listen to them. We all want to be heard. We all want to matter. When I don’t listen to someone, I am telling him or her “you are not important to me.” That is not the message I want to convey to others. I want people to know that I care about what is happening in their lives. It’s really not so hard. Just learn to listen, to really hear the heart of a person. You just may change someone’s life.

¹(2009). In Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary.
Retrieved April 28, 2009, from http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/prior

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Thanks for sharing your heart, I enjoy reading your blog and am so proud of you for putting yourself out there. Love you!!