Friday, February 20, 2009

Heart’s Desire



3Trust in the LORD and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture. 4Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart. 5Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him and he will do this: 6He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn, the justice of your cause like the noonday sun. Psalm 3: 3-6 (NIV)

Several years ago when I was taking the Apprentice Writing Course of Christian Writers Guild, one of my assignments was to describe my heart’s desire for my inner spiritual life. As I contemplated this, the Holy Spirit spoke the words of Psalm 37: 3-6 to me.

My desire is for my inner spiritual life to be one of an expectancy that only God can satisfy. I was my life to over-flow with God’s blessings so I can share those blessings with others. I crave an overwhelming hunger and intense thirst for God’s Word. I want a passion for the abiding presence of the Holy Spirit to consume me so He can fill me with joy, peace, and contentment. This will instill in me the confidence that comes from being a chosen daughter of God. I desire a God-given tranquility when life swirls around me in a tornado of turmoil. The outer me will reflect the inner beauty that comes from allowing God’s Spirit to direct my thoughts, desires, and actions. I want my inner spiritual life to permeate my whole being so that people do not see me; they see Jesus. That is my heart’s desire.

© 2008 by Ginny Holcombe. All rights reserved.

No comments: